This valuable Cup is amongst the oldest trophies still being played for annually.
In Ladies Golf the only other competition which started earlier was the Ladies' British Open Amateur Championship in 1893.
The Cup was presented to The Leicestershire Golf Club in 1897 by the late Mr J W Janson of Northampton as a trophy to be played for under handicap by lady members of golf clubs in Leicestershire, Northamptonshire and Warwickshire. The reason why it was called the Goodyear Cup has not been ascertained with 100% certainty but it may have been so called because it was in 1897 that Queen Victoria celebrated her Diamond Jubilee (hence Good Year!!)
The Leicestershire and Rutland Ladies' County Golf Association was founded in 1922 but it was 1925 before the first mention of the Goodyear Cup was recorded in the minutes. From that date until 1962, when it was first held outside Leicestershire, the choice of venue was determined by the Club of which the winner was a member.
In 1961 Mrs Templeton, a member of Olton Golf Club in Warwickshire, won the cup at Longcliffe Golf Club. Until her marriage Mrs Templeman had been a well known player in Leicestershire and it was her suggestion that in 1962 the event should be held at Olton Golf Club. She also suggested that in future the three counties should take their turn in running the competition.
It is, therefore, very worthy of note that with the Goodyear Cup, Leicestershire - along with Northamptonshire and Warwickshire - can claim a place in the history of Ladies golf in Britain.
Nancy Eastabrook 1997